Gardening is really getting started this month. Here’s a list for your monthly job jar.
- Mow the lawn at a height of 2 1/2 to 3 inches while never removing more than 1/3 of the leaf blade. Leave the clippings on the ground.
- Remove flowers from newly established strawberry plantings. Let them become established this year and form fruit next year.
- Remove seed stalks from rhubarb as soon as you see them.
- Harvest rhubarb through early June.
- Harvest mature asparagus beds for 6 to 8 weeks only.
- Lift and divide old chrysanthemum plants or set out new plants purchased or grown from cuttings. Pinch back mums when they are about six inches tall for bushier plants.
- Continue to pinch back the mums until mid-July.
- Plant gladiolus corms every two weeks for continuous bloom.
- Remove daffodil and tulip flowers as they fade. Leave the foliage in place until it turns brown and dies. Dig bulbs for storage after the leaves die.
- Plant dahlia and canna tubers mid- to late May.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs after the flowers fade.
- Have a magnificent May!
Adapted from “Seeds of Hope… Harvest of Pride!” – Gardener’s Checklist, www.bright.net/~gardens/index.html